I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who's shocked that there have been so many five-time-plus champions since the last Tournament of Champions!
In any case, it's Andy here starting off another week of recaps at TJ!F.
This week's players:
Elissa Burr - Annandale, NJ (WABC)
Julia Collins - Kenilworth, IL (WLS)
Michelle Flaherty - Natrona Heights, PA (WPXI)
Mallory Howe - Brea, CA (KABC)
Bob Kochersberger - Raleigh, NC (WTVD)
Nick Lemek - Omaha, NE (WOWT)
LaWanda London - Round Rock, TX (KXAN)
Marlon Morris - Mayood, IL (WLS)
John Ogden - Silver Spring, MD (WJLA)
Sarah Shody - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (CHCH)
Mary Twellman - Bowling Green, MO (KSDK)
Sarah's Hometown Howdy failed to make a Rob Ford joke. I'm disappointed.
J! round categories:
WHAT "ITIS" IS IT?
2-LETTER SCRABBLE WORDS
APPROXIMATE WEIGHTS & MEASURES
Sarah did very well in "Scrabble Words", though. I'm slightly less disappointed.
However, both of our challengers did very well over the first segment. Our 5-time defending champion was in third place! Scores were:
Sarah's husband is a home brewer; when they found out that Sarah was going to be on Jeopardy, he made a Belgian beer, and called it the Daily Dubbel!
Julia fell asleep in the middle of her SATs!
REIGN $1000 had the Daily Double. Of course it was a video (Harumph.) Julia's to play, the scores were:
Julia bet $1,500. Her clue, presented by Torrance Coombs: Even though my character, Bash, has feelings for Mary, she is betrothed by my brother, who boasts this French title as Henry II's eldest son & heir apparent. Her correct response puts her at $3,500!
Bob did well in TENNIS to take the lead at the end of the round! Scores after 30:
DJ! round categories:
STARTS WITH DOUBLE O
THE COLE PORTER SONGBOOK
Both Bob and Julia had some negs keeping her score down in the early part of this round!
Over half of the round went by before we saw a Daily Double! GERMAN CITIES $1200 had it! Julia's to play, the scores were:
Julia bet $1,500. Her clue: The Farina Fragrance Museum in this city has on exhibit perfume bottles dating from antiquity. Her correct response put her at $13,000!
A POLK had the final Daily Double. It went to Bob at $1600! Scores:
Bob bet $3,000. His clue: In his 1845 inaugural address, Polk mentioned annexing this republic & "her desire to come into our union". Bob went north, to Canada, and fell to $3,600.
Scores going into FINAL:
FJ! category: NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING AUTHORS
FJ! clue: Due to injuries suffered in 2 plane crashes in Africa, he was unable to accept his 1954 Nobel Prize in person
Bob 4400 - 2400 = 2000
Sarah 10800 + 9000 = 19800
Julia 19000 + 3000 = 22000 (6-day champion, $124,810)
1. John Pearson (November 2013 Teacher's Champion)
2. Jim Coury (May 2013 College Champion)
3. Terry O'Shea (February 2014 College Champion)
4. Arthur Chu $297,200 (11 wins)
5. Ben Ingram $176,534 (8 wins)
6. Drew Horwood $138,100 (8 wins)
7. Jared Hall $181,001 (6 wins)
8. Sandie Baker $140,200 (6 wins)
9. Andrew Moore $137,803 (6 wins)
10. Julia Collins $124,810 (6 wins)
11. Jerry Slowik $121,800 (5 wins)
12. Joshua Brakhage $103,205 (5 wins)
13. Rebecca Rider $101,600 (5 wins)
14. Sarah McNitt $89,398 (5 wins)
15. Rani Peffer $68,701 (5 wins)
16. Mark Japinga $112,600 (4 wins)
17. Mike Lewis $102,800 (4 wins)
18. Carlos Ross $89,774 (3 wins)
19. Adam Holquist $76,299 (3 wins)
20. Sara Garnett $75,403 (3 wins)
21. Salvo Candela $66,195 (3 wins)
22. Neal Pollack $60,798 (3 wins)
23. John Anneken $60,112 (3 wins)
24. Tim Anderson $56,001 (3 wins)
25. Stuart Anderson $51,601 (3 wins)
26. Bill Tolany $44,200 (3 wins)